Sunday, June 1, 2008

Moving Meditation - Bellydance

About three years ago, I attended a metaphysical fair where one of the topics of the free lectures was bellydance. I was fascinated by the presenter balancing a sword on her head but more so by the obvious glow about her - she was obviously having a wonderful time. I ended up signing up to take classes at her studio despite the fact that I am partially paralyzed from two botched back surgeries. There is permanent nerve damage on my entire left side that affects my coordination and movement. I no longer have any discs in my entire spine and the affected area is very stiff and permanently maligned. She assured me that the dance was good for the spine.

It took a little while before I felt comfortable, approximately three months of regular practice before my body started to loosen up. Undulations, rib cage circles and lifts, hip circles and other basic moves have become part of my daily routine to relieve pain after sleeping, driving and sitting. I spent my 51st birthday performing with the troupe, a wonderful way to celebrate the second half of my life.

Gaining control of the physical is a wonderful means of meditation. When I dance, I offer gratitude to the Divine that I am able to dance despite my physical limitations. Bellydance has been used since ancient times as a means of healing and a childbirth ritual. Contrary to popular belief, the intention of the dance is not to perform for men. Women dance for each other, and the experience of expressing joy and sisterhood by dancing with a group of women, especially your friends, can not be described in words.

In my area, bellydance as an art and means of fitness is growing rapidly. There are at least five schools in Tulsa. There are still many areas where it is difficult to get to a class due to distance. I've hand-picked a selection of DVD's and music for those who are willing to teach themselves:

Belly Dance Top Picks

I've also found a great site for dance apparel needs, AllAboutDance.com - one of the top dancewear retail companies on the Internet! All About Dance also serves cheerleading and gymnastic needs, and many of the items are suitable for street and clubwear. The site also offers several fundrasing methods for your group.

All About Dance




No comments: