Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gloom And Doom - Ethics In Astrology & Tarot

There are some excellent astrological sites out there that offer accurate information on planetary activity. Their intent is to let us know the energies that are typically produced by what's going on so that we might make our plans accordingly. I don't plan my life around the energies of the planets but I am interested in them because they're often a valid explanation for how certain periods of time progress. For instance, the dreaded Mercury retrograde more often than not affects mechanical devices and communication. People tend to misunderstand each other more frequently and more seriously than usual and it probably isn't a good time to sign contracts. If the car doesn't break down, it's likely to have a flat tire or there's a major traffic tie-up, the kind that forces you to change direction. These seem to be outer symptoms of what's going on inside as well. We may need to regroup, heal or change direction.

I've signed up for "free" astrological readings more than I care to admit and most seem likely to have come straight out of a book or some software program. A series of e-mails follows, attempting to persuade us to buy a reading. That's all fine and good - I understand that they're only trying to make some money. The line is crossed when the person offers magical talismans, jewelry and other types of voodoo and mojo and begins to make ominous threats. It starts with subtle suggestions that disaster will befall us if we don't buy the reading or chart. Or, we're told that we are going to miss out on a huge sum of money or another "once in a lifetime opportunity." The threats get a bit stronger with each e-mail:

"Your actual situation can’t last like that, dear Parthena...

We absolutely have to act, and act NOW!"


What makes me sad and angry at the same time is that there are people who fall for this, too many people. While it may be their choice and a matter of free will to do so, it still doesn't sit well with me that anyone would prey upon them to make money. Those who want a genuine astrological or tarot reading should be aware that an authentic reader would not operate that way. Yet there are some who associate a dark, bossy gypsy woman with the mystical quality of it all and actually seek out this type of reader.

In my first post when I opened this blog, I explained how I feel about readings and the type of reader that I am:

Welcome to The Other Side


I prefer not to read for someone who wants to be told their "future" and what to do. I don't agree with the way that some of my own friends read. While I see readings as a form of personal and spiritual guidance, I strongly feel that allowing someone to believe that I have all the answers is taking advantage of them. I am just a helper and the answers are within them. This is not what the majority of people who seek readings want and I have fewer clients, but I have the peace that comes from honesty.


Shop Our Great Selection Of Multivitamins, Fish Oils, Organic Drinks & More! PurityProducts.com

No comments: