Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Make Earth Day A Part Of You

According to Senator Gaylord Nelson, founder of Earth Day, the concept began in 1962 and evolved over a period of seven years. Nelson was concerned that protecting our environment was "simply a non-issue." President and Senator Kennedy liked and supported his ideas but his attempts to place the environment on the political agenda were consistently unsuccessful. He did not give up and Earth Day was finally established in 1970. I think that for many, the 2009 Earth Day is one of the most significant since the people are finally paying attention. I still can't give that much credit to our government but I believe that it will get there based on pressure from the people. Oklahoma Republican Senator James Inhofe, an embarrassment to my own state, expressed that the global warming issue was a hoax and "an attempt by the Weather Channel to increase its ratings." This even made Jon Stewart's Daily Show. Jon questioned whether Inhofe had ever seen the Weather Channel and showed a screenshot of jazzy music and a five day forecast. He then proceeded to point out that the Senator should be more terrified by the weather commercials in his own home state - specifically, our tornado commercials.

Not very long ago, I was absolutely incensed by the crowds at gas stations on ozone alert days during late afternoon and early evening hours, when it was strongly recommended we cut back on this activity. I was sickened that nobody seemed to care.

Even before I found my way home to the Goddess, I was aware of the effect of polluting the environment. This was likely tied to the fact that I grew up during the hippie flower child years. Seemingly always strapped for money, I accomplished quite a bit by using as few chemicals as possible for household cleaning and being conservative with utilities. As I progressed along the pagan path, my awareness became a way of life. The influence of a Buddhist friend caused me to give more thought to protecting annoying insects and I no longer kill spiders unless they happen to be a poisonous Fiddleback or a scorpion. My "green" lifestyle isn't yet perfect, but it's getting there.

Religion is how you believe and spirituality is how you live. Earth Day is not a religious observance, yet it's amusing that Judeo-Christian society is still not aware that for pagans, heathens, Wiccans and Native Americans, respecting and honoring the Earth and all living creatures is a way of life. All pagan holidays and sabbats specifically honor the earth and the elements. For us, every day is Earth Day - as it should be for all of us.
Despite the fact that politically, we have a long way to go and that commerce has made green living "trendy" to an extent, I'm pleased with the progress we're making and I do hope that Earth Day becomes more spiritually significant for people of all religions.


Be well, and be blessed.

Related Articles:

Earth Day Is Pagan Day

So, How Are You Doing With Your Green Living?

Welcome To America, Circa 2100 - What The US Could Look Like If Global Warming Isn't Stopped



Earth Day Savings And Sweepstakes


Earth Day Special - Save $15 on $80 orders of select eco-friendly shoes and bags, including designer styles at Endless.com






,,,,,,,,,,

No comments: